Massive session in our garage working on Anges bike today. We started with her stock standard bike at 12 noon and now almost everything is done apart from the dreaded electrics (which I’m glad to say are Anges department). 10 hours solid, no lunch or dinner just some beersies for me. Looking really good 😃 I’m shattered now.
Bought myself a bottle of Argon, some aluminium MIG wire and managed to scrounge some aluminium off cuts to practice on. The nice man at the welding supplies store also gave me a piece of folded stainless sheet to put on my workbench so it doesn’t catch fire 😃 the tears of shitty aluminium welds shall begin tomorrow 😉
I got a new Inverter MIG welder for Christmas so today I completed the front mudguard. I’m a bit average at welding, but the angle grinder hides many sins. It definitely won’t come to bits though. Paint job is a bit average too, but I needed to get paint on it quickly before it started to rust. Might give it a repaint once the sun comes out.
I decided that the nice alloy headlight brackets pushed the headlight out too far from the forks, so I got these lovely stainless steel ones, a bit more retro like the stock ones. I think they look much better. A bit of tight squeeze with the speedo cable and headlight shroud but they also have a hole to mount my new mini indicators when they arrive.
got the engine back together tonight with the new big bore cylinder and piston. It’s now 149cc. I took it for a little ride up to the shops and everyone was looking at it. Still some work to do with re-jetting the carburettor, I went up two sizes on the main jet and raised the needle to maximum and now it’s way too rich. Better too rich than lean, but I’ll sort it out tomorrow. Still need to finish the front mudguard and modify the instrument bracket to hold a tachometer. My Christmas present from ange is a MIg welder so I can do those other little jobs over the Christmas holidays.
New keyed alike ignition switch, steering lock and fuel tank filler cap installed. Fitted and wired in new speedometer and neutral indicator light. Thanks Ange for your help with the wiring. Fitted new clutch perch with mirror mounts. Still trying to figure out where to fit the front turn signals. Ordered a smaller set that should be easier to fit.